Monday, January 2, 2012

Surrounded

 When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
  the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
 what is man that you are mindful of him,
  and the son of man that you care for him?
(Psalm 8:3-4 ESV)

I was challenged today as reading the Psalms to think about the different ways that God has been mindful of me this past year. At first I started listing general things such as a husband who loves me, Noah, great family (Matt's and mine), a job with people who take care of me, Austin Stone, friends, a college education, etc. After listing off maybe thirty things in my head-I realized I was being way too general. It was easy to list off broad topics, but ultimately I wasn't giving our Creator credit for the little things. Yes, the small ways he's provided big answers. How is it possible that the God of the universe that painted the heavens has fingers and hands that mold me every day to be the wife, mother, friend, co-worker, daughter, sister, and neighbor that I am?

I started thinking about after five months of being married the terrifying news of finding out we were going to be parents and the ENDLESS ways God provided as we desperately cried out to him "US? We are not ready?" I mean for real- God showed up and made it evident that he was painting the picture of our lives. A couple examples-I was lent maternity clothes by a co-worker- huge expense saved and a small easily overlooked way of God providing. Matt knew he was being called out of the rehab center and into grad school. After three interviews for his PhD and three responses of "you are on the waiting list," God opened the door for a Master’s program at the University of Texas that he didn't even apply for. This program has turned out to be the exact fit for him and despite having Noah in the midst of all his studies-he still did VERY well. My best friend then gets pregnant and gets to walk through the joys and hilarious moments of gaining thirty pounds, peeing every two minutes, and craving sweets after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. God made pregnancy so much fun having her by my side. I then think how we have been surrounded with meals, groceries, free date nights, amazing advice, and love- all given from family, friends, and co-workers. I look back at three weeks when Noah was up every two hours and the thoughts of how can I have more kids- this is the toughest thing I've ever done. He provided. God seriously provided. He brought patience, a helpful husband, surrounding family, encouraging words from college sorority sisters- all when I thought the walls may fall. He surrounded us in the midst of what I thought was defeat, but honestly, it was victory. Victory over fear, doubt, and anxiety. God made sure I knew that I wasn't just following his footsteps through the valleys; he was actually carrying me and my family through them. This is the creator of the universe, designer of the heavens, painter of the sky CARRYING ME! As I reflect on 2011, one word comes to mind- Surrounded. This was a year I've truly been surrounded by God in big ways and small. God, the one and only who knows every hair on Noah's head, has shown himself in greater ways than I could ever imagined.
From this....

To this...

With a little bit of this....
And now a LOT of this.....
Peace, Love, 2012, Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment