Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bear Trail Girl


In college, I think I probably ran the Bear Trail over a thousand times. I was an avid runner and could not get enough of that darn trail- which tokened me the name “Bear Trail Girl” for a lot of college. Boy, how far I have fallen from that title. I was reminded today that running is about 90% mental and 10% physical. One mile without stopping was IMPOSSIBLE for me mentally. I laugh at myself. I mentally don’t know how I ever ran 26.2 miles along highway 1 in California with two of my best friends. I seriously don’t know how I did it. I can’t even run a MILE right now. It is humbling, and I’m accepting it *or trying to at least*.
I thought I’d share my thoughts for any of you moms out there worried about exercising, dieting, whatever while breastfeeding. I realize that if I try to exercise too much too fast I have a chance of losing my milk supply. A lot of people try to diet and REALLY exercise right after they have a child and they end up not being able to breastfeed. This is the last thing I want to do. I’ll be honest and confess that every month I do breast feed; I mark it off the list and continue my countdown to the year mark. But I want to last for a year, and I don’t want to do anything to make that year get cut short. So,  I decided that I’m going to set simple goals right now for exercising/weight loss/toning.  My simple goals consist of running/walking three times a week and sit ups five to seven times a week. This should be very doable seeing that on my days off I try to walk Noah three to five miles, and I can do sit ups while he naps. This should be a mission accomplished- I’ll keep y’all updated- but my goal is to do this for 2012.
The Bear Trail Girl may never be back, and I’ve accepted that. I think my marathon days are over, and if I can do a couple halves in the near future that’d be great. By near future, I mean maybe in 2013. It is kind of nice not having the massive running thighs right now and pants fitting a little loose around the legs.
I think my next simple goal to add to the list in 2012 is to try out Zumba. One of my new co-workers is an instructor and it sounds awesome (as long as nobody watches me). We are trying to convince her to give us some lessons on our Saturday busy season days, so we can work off all the Cinnamon rolls, Breakfast Tacos, and Chick-fil-a sandwiches.
Peace and no more chicken grease (I’m seriously trying to restrict my chick-fil-a intake),
Natalie
Giving up running for these boys and that drool? Yes Please!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! You can do it!!! Think of it as giving up the running marathon for the breastfeeding marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete