Friday, January 20, 2012

First Week as a Working Mom

First week back to work and I survived.

Yes, I did it. It’s 75% time, so it isn’t the full load that I was used to before I left, but it is still back to work and leaving my baby 9 to 10 hours a day. I arranged with my work that I will now only work three days a week and Saturdays during busy season. I ended up choosing to work on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday due to Matt’s heavy course load and new TA positions. Matt is working 20 hours a week- 10 hours for two different professors- and it is amazing (well, so far-not overwhelmed yet). It is helping supplement our income and allowing us to afford a nanny to come to the house 15-20 hours a week to watch our sweet boy.
So for my first week back, Monday and Tuesday weren’t too bad; I left him and felt great about it. On Wednesday, I was home with him all day and got some work done. It is a little tough getting everything done with a baby around, but I know I will get used to it. 

These past two weeks I have started to notice that he has become quite the mama’s boy. For example, I went to lunch with my mom and two friends on Wednesday and Noah would only really let me hold him- started to fuss with anybody else. I actually like it because I feel super loved and important BUT today *Thursday* I did not love it. Noah has been going to bed around 8:30 (amazing) and waking up around 6:45. Thursday was not so easy of a morning-he was up at 6 which was fine but usually, I had just been feeding him and then heading to work at 7- not really interacting with him. This morning we hung out for an hour before I left- he helped me get the apartment ready and put make up on. He was all smiles. He loves when I brush my teeth and do make up in front of the mirror because he can smile at himself too. We are quite the team. Anyways, after having a grand old time getting ready I brought him to daddy at 7 am. Within a couple seconds of handing him off, he starts screaming. Yep, you said it, separation anxiety. This boy didn’t want me to leave. He wanted me to hold him and wanted my attention. So, needless to say, I had to leave a screaming baby with daddy. Matt texted me thirty minutes later and said he had just gotten him to calm down.  This was a rough start to the morning for both of us, but I think it will get better.

I love that I get to be a wife, mom, and an accountant. These are seriously my three favorite things (well, besides being a daughter of Christ). God has been so good, and I could not be more thankful for such a great place to work. After a long day at work, it’s nice to know I will be home three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday).  I will work while he sleeps, but I still get to be home and the separation anxiety will be at a minimum. J More to come. Let me just say I’m thankful for a baby who sleeps 10 hours a night at 12 weeks- Matt and I are blessed!
(I wrote this last night- things get busy, so it is a day late...oooops)

No comments:

Post a Comment