Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gestational Diabetes

On Tuesday, I had my big test. This was quite an adventure. First of all, I’m terrible with blood work. I have almost passed out in the past and have had to be stuck multiple times in order for them to find “the vein.” I even had a group of women who had to send me home because they had stuck me past the legal limit-yes, I hate needles. Anyways, Matt came and picked me up and we headed to the doctor’s office. (I’ve been dreading this test since it was scheduled a month ago).

This drink has to be drunk exactly 1 hour before all the testing.  If it is not, then you have to come back another day for a retest. I finished drinking the drink at 1:50 and knew I needed to be tested at 2:50. At 2:50, I was sitting in the doctor’s office wondering why they hadn’t called me back yet. I knew they were cutting it close, and I was confused. I asked the nurse what was going on, and she told me I was supposed to have the blood work done at the lab. They quickly sent me up to the lab ( I had forgot these crucial instructions from my last visit a month ago). Anyways, there is a ten minute grace period, but my time was about up. One of the receptionists told me I’d have to come back another day. I was super bummed. Then this amazing God sent nurse said that I was still under the grace period and she could draw my blood. I was SO relieved. Matt had driven all the way up there to take me to this test since I hate needles, I was missing work, and I had NO desire to come back or drink another semi orange crush tasting drink. This dumb high-sugar drink has 300 calories in it and makes you feel funny. No , no thank you, I don’t want to drink another. Well I might have to if I don’t pass this test, but diabetes does not run on either side of Matt or my family, so I’m praying for the best. The lady was able to draw my blood with the first stick. She said it helps that I have about 30% more blood flow because of baby Noah.  Overall, it was successful blood draw and my arm is only slightly sore.

Matt had never heard Noah’s heartbeat in person, so we headed back to the doctor’s office to do my 28 week check up. Matt thought it was the coolest thing. He loves anything that has to do with Noah. I don’t think Matt and I are going to do any of the hospital classes. With my busy season upon us, we have little time. I think we are going to read a book. If anybody has any suggestions on books, I’d love to know! We are super excited and so thankful Noah has made it to the third trimester. Our God is good!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you didn't have to take the test over again either, that drink is just gross. I believe I had to have it/ended up drinking it on an empty stomach, which turned out to be a double yuck.

    P.S. Thanks God for 'showing up' AGAIN!!! :)